Carbon Neutral is committed to protecting your personal information.
In regard to your use of our site, please note that the open nature of the internet is such that data and personal information are transmitted over networks connecting you to our systems without any security measures and may be accessed by people other than those for whom the information is intended.
Information we collect from you (directly and indirectly)
To enable our site to function effectively, we may collect and process the following information about you:
a) Your information
When you register to create a profile on our site, we ask you to supply personal information including your first and last name, organisation name and address, job description, email address and telephone number.
b) Other information we receive about you
We may also receive other information about you, such as:
* information received when you interact with our site (for example when subscribing to mail outs, alerts or newsletters, or participating in surveys). Pages that collect this type of information may provide additional information as to why your personal information is needed and how it will be used. It is your decision whether or not you provide it.
* information received from the device you use to visit our site (including when multiple users log in or register from the same device). This type of data may include the device’s IP address, geographical location and/or the webpages accessed.
* if you contact us we may retain a record of that contact.
c) Information about third parties
The above categories of personal information may be or have been obtained either directly from you (for instance by registering to use our site services) or indirectly from certain third parties (for instance through our site’s technology). Such third parties may include, but is not limited to, affiliates, public authorities, public websites and social media platforms.
How we may process the information received
In regard to our site, we may use the information received about you:
- to enable you to participate in interactive features of our services (if you wish to) and advise you of changes to those services and addition of new services which may be relevant to you
- to ensure content is provided to you in the most appropriate way for you and the device you use to access our site
- to give effect to our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and us, such as when transacting on our site
- to gain a better understanding of how visitors to our site interact with it, and
- to more effectively promote our services.
We do not provide this information about you to third party advertisers.
Summary of why we may use your personal information
Managing a contractual relationship with you
Required to perform obligations where you are a contracting party
Operating and managing our business functions
On the basis of our legitimate interest of ensuring that our business function is proper and optimal
Complying with legal requirements
Required where we have a legal obligation to comply
Monitoring your use of our systems (including our website and any apps or tools associated with our services)
On the basis of our legitimate interest of avoiding non-compliance and protecting our commercial reputation
Enhancing the efficacy and security of our site, network and data
On the basis of our legitimate interest in ensuring you have an optimal user experience and the integrity and security of our network and information
Carrying out data analytics
On the basis of fulfilling your requests for articles, newsletters etc or you fulfilling our requests for surveys or research questionnaires
Marketing our products and services (unless not consented to by unsubscribing etc)
On the basis of our legitimate interest of ensuring that we can carry out and develop our business
Where we store your personal information
Carbon Neutral uses a customer relationship management (CRM) database to manage and track our marketing activities. Our CRM database includes personal information which connects to individuals and organisations who are existing clients, entities with whom we already have a business relationship, or entities with whom we wish to develop a business relationship. This personal information may include contact details, information in the public domain (such as published articles, social media posts [if commercially relevant], your responses to targeted marketing communications (including website activity following links from our emails), website activity of users that have registered on our site) and other business information.
We will store email correspondence from visitors to our site who submit enquiries, as well as correspondence to and from our clients.
Disclosing your information
We may disclose the information received about you in certain circumstances:
- to members of our organisation group (including our parent company and its subsidiaries)
- to third parties if you have consented to us doing so
- if all, or substantially all, of our organisation is merged with or acquired by a third party (whereby your personal information becomes part of that merger or acquisition and you will be deemed to consent to this disclosure)
- where required by law to disclose or share the information.
We will not use your personal information for purposes that are not compatible with the purposes of which you have been advised, unless required or permitted by law to do so.
The Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) give you the right to access certain personal information held about you.
- Request access to the personal information we process about you: this right entitles you to know whether we hold personal information about you and, if we do, to obtain information on and a copy of that personal information
- Request a correction of your personal information if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- Object to the processing of your personal information: this right entitles you to request that we no longer process your personal information
- Request the erasure of your personal information: this right entitles you to request the erasure of your personal information, including where such personal information would no longer be necessary to achieve the purposes
- Request the restriction of the processing of your personal information: this right entitles you to request that we only process your personal information in limited circumstances, including with your consent
- Request portability of your personal information: this right entitles you to receive a copy of personal information that you have provided to us, or request us to transmit such personal information to another data controller
- To the extent that the processing of your personal information data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw such consent at any time by contacting us. Please note that this will not affect our right to process personal information obtained prior to the withdrawal of your consent, or its right to continue parts of the processing based on other legal bases than your consent
- If, despite our commitment and efforts to protect your personal information, you believe that your data privacy rights have been violated, we encourage and welcome individuals to come to us first to seek resolution of any complaint. You have the right at all times to register a complaint directly with the relevant supervisory authority or to make a claim against us with a competent court (either in the country where you live, the country where you work or the country where you deem that data privacy law has been infringed).
- Contact us to exercise any of your rights.
Our site provides you the means to connect with, and share content on, various third party sites (for example Twitter, Facebook and Instagram). Please note that these third party sites each have their own privacy policies over which we have no control and therefore for which we accept no responsibility or liability. We encourage you to inform yourself about the content of these policies before supplying any personal information to such sites.
You have the choice to opt out of receiving information from us. This may be done by unsubscribing using the link in our emails. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org instructing us to do so. In such cases we will retain minimal personal information to note that you opted out in order to refrain from contacting you again.